Wednesday, April 12, 2006

my poor car

I know it is only a hunk of metal, but my poor car was rear ended while I was stopped at a red light. I was looking down at my radio and bang! I was so shaken up. It was awful. People drive like lunatics around here anyway, so I figured it was only a matter of time, but still it's horrible to be involved in an accident. I was very lucky though. My neck and shoulders are sore, so I'm being sent along to physical therapy next week. I hope that sorts it. My car is being fixed as we speak. It could have been done today, however when the auto body place tried to transfer the cavelier nameplate, they cracked the new trunk. Now I wait another day for my car. I have a rental car. It's an impala and while I know it's not as big as the Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme I used to drive, it is still much bigger than the car I am driving now.

I used to drive my dad's '77 olds when I was around 19. It was a land yacht. Once I was sitting in the parking lot of the department store I was working at warming up my car and I got hit by some drunk who backed into me. It was impossible that he couldn't see me. I was in the biggest, reddest car in the parking lot. I barely felt it, but it tore his truck up. When I looked at my car, there wasn't even a scratch. Very much a Stephanie Plum moment there. I drove home and told my mom and dad and got in trouble for not calling the police. Of course this was before cell phones were common. I don't think I even knew anyone who had a cell phone then! How times have changed.

This recent accident happened on my way to work. It was rainy and I was sitting at a light, minding my own business. Then bang! I really didn't even think any damage had been done. And again I didn't call the police right away. I've been quite happy here without a cell phone. Now that's all changed. Time to get one I suppose.

No comments: