Sunday, September 03, 2006

Ernesto

We made it through our first tropical storm. While I lived in the nice land locked state of Kentucky, I would always hear about hurricanes being downgraded to tropical storms and I would think, oh well that's good. No problems there. It's still scary when it's a tropical storm! We sat in our house, looking up towards the skylights and watching the wind blow the pine trees this way and that. At one point I actually saw my chimney shake. The airport nearby reported winds of up to 55 miles per hour. With winds like that and heavy rain, I guess water is going to find it's way through any crack and crevice it can. And that's just what happened. We started finding the leaks. A big one in the garage, one over the den, water coming in around the front door and the front window. We have some water damage. Hopefully it will be taken care of by the insurance. I've decided I don't want to be a home owner anymore, and I want to go back to Kentucky where there are only tornadoes.

We had lots of water everywhere. Below is a picture of me and my boots in our backyard. Luckily the water stopped just short of our house. It's the first time I've gotten a chance to use my galoshes since moving to the US!


IMG_5563
Originally uploaded by Kim Joo.

The picture below is of our neighbor's shed almost floating.


IMG_5564
Originally uploaded by Kim Joo.

I have more pictures of damage, but I'm waiting until we talk to the insurance. It was an interesting experience and driving around the city, I can see we where very lucky. No trees fell, only big branches and pine needles. We didn't have electricity from 8.30am Friday until 1.30pm on Saturday. Our phone finally started working again sometime last night.

Now I'm just trying to relax and stay as stress free as possible and count my blessings.

1 comment:

Rena said...

Eeek!

Looks like you've had a bit of a nightmare. Hope all goes well with the insurance and that things are back to normal soon.

Love,
Rena, Jase and Lauren xxx