Monday, August 09, 2010

Sewing Mood

I've been in a sewing mood, but my energy level has been a bit low lately. I have lots of things on a list to do, but just can't find the oomph to get things done. I have managed to do a few things that I feel need to be done. On my list of things to do:

Nursing covers
Bedding for used moses basket I found at a consignment sale
Quilt for my cousin's new baby (the top is done, I have a walking foot and I just have to be brave and quilt it on my machine)
Blocks for the same baby
Tag blankets for various babies, including mine

(I love doing the strike through thing. It makes me feel like I've accomplished something!)

So I finally did a few things these past couple of days and took a few pictures. Here they are.

Nursing covers
I found the tutorial at Sew Much Ado. I had a question about the boning. I've never used it before and I didn't want to ruin things. So I asked the author, Abby, and she was so nice and sent me a really good explanation!

I made the first one with Mirabelle from Alexander Henry. I bought the fabric while visiting Esther's Fabrics on Bainbridge Island during a Seattle trip. I fell in love with it. I didn't know what I wanted to do with it until now.



I made the cover, but the fabric is very thin and so it doesn't keep it's shape as well as recommended home decor fabric would. But since I'm having an August baby, and temps have been in the 100s here since July, I thought it wouldn't really hurt to have a thinner, cooler cover. So here it is.


I decided that I needed to do a heavier weight one and I found some fabric at JoAnn's. I cut it out and finally finished it yesterday. But then I found fabric I like better. So I have a friend who just told me she is pregnant and I think I'll give it to her as a gift.



A few weekends ago, my friend took me to a shop called Quilting Adventures. I wish it were nearer to me! I found Its a Hoot home decor fabric by Alexander Henry. I made a baby blanket out of the same print in cotton. I love it! I found a yard and took it home. I was so excited, I started right away and cut it wrong! Thank goodness for Etsy! I ordered another yard and finished the cover yesterday. Yay! I have extra fabric to make a bag thanks to my mistake. Not so bad. If I can find the time.





I'll post other projects soon. This post has gotten longer than I thought it would. I'm going to stop for lunch and post the rest of the projects later.

No comments: