Since I'm on the subject of sewing, here are a few finished objects that I keep meaning to post.
First up is a baby bib I made for a grandmother shower gift. It was finished in the spring and I finally managed to give it to the recipient before the baby started kindergarten. I'm such a procrastinator. The bib tutorial came from this site It was very easy to follow and turned out very cute although I was a bit worried it would be too small. I didn't have any bias tape, so I just lined the pocket with red and flip a bit over the top of the pocket.
Next is the Ms. Poppins bag. This is in my Ravelry notebook. I know I blogged about it before, but it is actually done now! I ended up resewing the lining into the bag because I didn't like my messy seams and I need to get the button tie thingie (actual name) on it. I also managed to tweak the pleats a bit more. I'm much happier with it. I love the button and handle.
Moving right along is my Amy Butler French Shoulder bag. I made one for myself. If I could do it over, I would choose a stiffer interfacing. The material is batik and it is pretty flimsy, so the pink part is always sinking. But I still like it.
The next few are the more recent projects. These I just finished these over the weekend.
This is the Amy Butler Frenchy handbag and the No Cash Wallet from Bend the Rules Sewing for a friend's 9 year old daughter. She saw my shoulder bag and asked for one. I have been looking for an excuse to try out the handbag (since I have made many of the shoulder bags.) I had extra material left and made the wallet to go with it. I am so in love with this little purse. I almost don't want to give it away! I made a few changes to the pattern. I placed the magnetic clasp higher than is called for. Just minor, but makes it easier to sew the lining into place on the last step. I also put a stitch up the middle of the interior pocket. I found the pockets were just too big on the first shoulder bag I made. I find that when I am reaching into my purse I'm usually do it while I'm doing other things, i.e. shopping, driving, walking. Not necessarily looking into the purse, so I don't want my hand to go immediately into a pocket. The pockets in these bags just flop open and you don't know where you are when you are reaching inside. Sewing a double seam up the middle of it not only helps this, but creates more compartments. It felt like a practical thing to do.
Last but not least, the drawstring bag from a tutorial I found on Yarnmonster's blog. Very easy, very quick and so, so cute. The material is left over from the craft bag I made for my friend Lisa. The hardest part was threading the cord through the cord stop. Thanks to Bal, who pulled the needle nose pliers from his fencing bag, we managed to get the cord through. I plan on making more of these with the scraps I have left over, and I have a lot of scraps. I'm such a pack rat. I literally keep the every scrap of material. If it is bigger than an inch, I keep it. Got to stop that, but for this it came in handy. While my mom was visiting, she made a bunch of stuffed dinosaurs for charity. I snagged all her scraps before they hit the trash. She was confused, but I had enough and then some to line this bag!
That's all for today. Sorry the post is so long. I'm off to sew some more.
13 hours ago